Fixing up your RV is just like fixing up your home! A slow process of finding what works and what doesn’t to make it your own. We have added small items here and there but it’s now time to dive into the big stuff! JR has upgraded the old box TV that came with the RV to a beautiful new swinging flat screen and tremendous speakers to the point of where you feel like your in a movie theater!
We have added little wall fixings and hanger options for clothes and jackets but now we are ready to find the best RV mattress we can find! We have this very thin and old mattress on there now that came with the RV. We added an egg foam on it for more comfort but if we are going to live in this RV then we need it fully comfortable!
RV Mattress Sizes
All sizes matter, especially RV mattresses because everything is compact and needs to fit just right! Where our mattress sits is very important because our bedroom is a slide out. When we push the button to slide our bedroom in the mattress has to slide underneath our closet door to fit.
The only flaws I have about our RV is the bedroom itself. They should have built the closet doors higher or pick doors that do not sit out as much and more flat or compact. Also the mattress cannot be hanging off the sides of the base of the bed because there is barely enough room to walk around the bed itself to make it.
We are used to a King sized mattress in our house and it’s the most comfortable bed in the world to me! There is so much space and fluff that it’s hard to get out of sometimes. So going from our king-size mattress to a small queen in a compacted space as been my biggest challenge. In search for a good mattress here we come!
Finding the Right Mattress
First we made a list of what we need to find the right mattress:
1. Our new mattress must be this long and this wide and this tall.
2. Our new mattress must be cushy but firm for JR’s back issues.
3. Our new mattress must be compact or be able to roll up to fit when the section is rolled in.
4. We want the mattress to last as long as we have the RV for when we want to sell it or upgrade it.
This checklist to me sounds like we may need a custom mattress. They are super hard to find though. We usually buy almost everything on Amazon due to the convenience and free shipping with our Prime membership but even some of those mattresses do not come custom. Some of them don’t seem like they are going to ship very well for us to even get into the RV.
Here are a few we looked at with the best ratings:
- 2. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam
- Conforming memory foam comfort and support for a better night’s sleep
- Mattress has 3 layers of different grades of foam for maximum comfort
- Has the Highest Quality of Foam-Foam is CertiPUR – US Certified to be very durable
- Contains Bio Foam which replaces some of the traditional petroleum with natural plant oil to help keep your mattress fresh
- Our patented technology allows our mattresses to be efficiently compressed, rolled and shipped in a box conveniently to your door for easy carry and install into your RV
- Contains a Sleep Cool Technology Foam!
- Has a 20 year Limited Warranty.
- Has a Medium Firm feel with a great support layer.
- Contains 4 Durable layers!
- Contains a fire barrier with zipper washable cover for easy cleaning.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified!
JR is super great at all the RV research he does and I am so lucky to have a great partner to endlessly search for our comfort and making our lives easier on the road. He found Tochta Custom RV Mattresses where we can send in our exact measurements, cuts, comfort level and more!
So they have three models that you can build yourself:
- 4 layer system that provides a level 9 (out of 10) for support firmness.
- Has a premium gel visco cover layer for a level 10 (out of 10) for comfort.
- The premium and most expensive.
- 3 layer latex system that provides a level 9 (out of 10) for support firmness.
- A superior transitional layer that provides a level 8 (out of 10) for comfort.
- Mid range cost level.
- 3 layer gel infused memory foam that provides a level 8 (out of 10) for support firmness.
- High density foam blend that provides a level 7 (out of 10) for comfort level.
- Most valuable in price.
I think we are going to go for the Utopia Queen size since we are going to live in it full time, we should have the maximum comfort level!
f there are any other RV’ers out there that have gone with this company please feel free to comment below so we can learn from hands out experience!
Safe travels and happy sleeping!